January 25, 2009 -- I had some contractions in the morning, but they were kind of sporadic and not really timeable. Eventually they dissipated. But all day I had cramps and I just didn't feel right. I barely leave the couch. Finally around 9:30 my husband and I make our way up to bed. Almost as soon as I get into bed, the contractions start up again. This time they are more intense and I start timing them. They are all five minutes apart. I also notice that I started bleeding again. These are not reassuring signs, so I call the on-call doctor. In what seems like somewhat of a lucky break, the on-call doctor is one of the doctors who we met with the previous week and she is very familiar with my case. She advises that we come in to the hospital.
We get to the hospital around 11:00 and they check the contractions. Sure enough, labor has begun. We had gone home to let nature take its course and for God's will to be done, and now we were back in the hospital, His will set in motion. They perform a quick ultrasound and the baby has moved way down, and is partially in the birthing canal. Also, the placenta looks even worse than it did before. I'm definitely bleeding more, and the doctors are somewhat concerned for my own safety, given that I had already lost blood the week before. The doctors recommend we try to speed up the labor process, since if I start losing too much blood, then we will have to perform a c-section. We want to avoid this, so we agree that since the wheels are already in motion, it is best to get this over as quickly as possible.
January 26, 2009 -- At 1:00AM they give me something that will speed up the labor process. But, by "speed up," they say it can still be upwards of 24 hours. Given how everything is gone, I assume it'll take awhile. My contractions start getting closer together and much more intense. By 4:40, the nurse stops by to check vitals, and I let her know that my contractions are very intense and they seem to be accompanied by a different type of pressure, low down in my uterus. She asks if I want to see the doctor sooner, or if I can wait until 5:00AM when they are scheduled to check back in anyway. I think 20 minutes shouldn't matter and I say it's okay to wait. After she leaves the room, I have another contraction. This time, I also feel a gush and suddenly I have a sensation to push. My husband hits the call button for me. The nurse comes back, does a quick check, and immediately pages the doctors -- for delivery.
I have no time to think, and the whole thing seems surreal. It happened so fast. At 5:13AM, our daughter makes her entrance. Unfortunately, she has no heartbeat. I so badly wanted to be the one who has a miracle baby -- the baby who defies all odds and is strong and healthy. This does not happen. She comes out, along with the placenta, which probably became completely detached even before delivery. She never had a chance, but that doesn't change the love me or my husband have for her -- even without a heartbeat. The nurses clean her and the chaplain is present to provide a blessing for her. The tiniest baby I have ever seen is wrapped up in blankets and handed to me. She has my nose and lips. Part of me wants never to let her go, but at least I got this much with her.
I may never know why this had to happen to us, what her purpose was, or what God's plan is, but now we will try to move forward with our lives. Our daughter will always be in our hearts, and I'm just glad that at least she didn't suffer.
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. I will never forget how many people prayed for us during our time of need. I am typing this without having slept in over 32 hours, so I hope this makes some sense. Thank you all again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are all in my prayers. I am so sorry...
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. I am praying for your family.
ReplyDeletei'm so sorry for your loss. i've been following your story on the bump and will continue to pray for you and your family.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear this. I am praying for God to continue to give you strength and grace during this difficult time.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. You have been in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to be.
ReplyDeleteI am so very sorry to hear that it ended this way for your family. I also was following your story on the bump and have thought of you frequently. I really was hoping you would have that miracle baby that defied all odds. I'm crying while I read this and I feel terrible for you and your husbands loss. You will be in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss, my heart hurts for you. You, your husband, and your sweet little girl will be in my prayers through this difficult time.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for all that you've been through. You don't know me, but I'm following your story from the bump boards. Please take care of yourself and know that tons of strangers are praying for you and your husband during this time. God bless you.
ReplyDeleteI am so so sorry for your loss. You and your sweet baby girl will be in my prayers....
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. We will be praying for you and your precious baby girl.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. This shouldn't ever have to happen to anyone. I will be praying for you, your family and your baby girl!
ReplyDeleteI am deeply sorry for your loss. I am one of the many women who have been following your story on The Bump, and had been hoping for a miracle for your little one. My thoughts are with you and your husband. May your angel rest in peace and love.
ReplyDeleteI am so, so sorry. My heart hurts for you. I also have been following your story on the Bump and have been praying for you and your family. I will continue to pray for God's peace that surpasses understanding, for healing for you and your husband, and that He would help you to understand all that He is teaching you through this. God bless.
ReplyDeleteI'm so so sorry for your loss. I'll keep you in my thouths
ReplyDeleteHi Jesicca.I will tell you that i have gone through the same exprience.What i have learned over these couple years is that little girl was made in God's love,she had a purpoe and it was done.Though short lived,she has accomplished her purpose and only God knows what it was and eventually you will find this purpose.
ReplyDeleteI am going to be praying for you and your husband and i pray that you find the Healin love of God in you.
Love you guys..........
I am so sorry for your loss. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteMy heart is breaking for you. I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish the best for you and your husband.
ReplyDeleteThough I have never met you and your family, my heart is breaking for you. Know that my thoughts and prayers are with during this time.
ReplyDeleteI am deeply sorry and sending many prayers your way.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. Your family and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for you and your family. You are a strong and amazing woman, and I will continue to have you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteMy heart breaks for you. Your family will be in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteMy heart is so heavy for you. I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. I know nothing I say will help, but you and your family have not left my thoughts for a while now. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. I hope you can find comfort in the support of your family and friends.
ReplyDeleteWe don't know each other, but I've been following your story on the bump. I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss and I pray that God gives you and your husband strength..and one day peace.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't be more sorry for what you've been through. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry.. I was really hoping for a miracle as well.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for the loss of your precious daughter. I will keep your family in my prayers. Sending you big virtual hugs.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that you had to join those of us who have lost a child.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that you have had to know this pain and sorrow, and that your precious babe had to leave so soon.
Sending hugs and comfort. If I can be of any assistance, to answer questions or sit and hold you hands, please let me know. You can simply hit reply on this comment.
Hugs and prayers,
Mrs. Spit
I'm so sorry for your loss. You, your family, and your precious girl will be in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss and the pain you are going through. You, your husband and your daughter are in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteI've been following your story on thebump and I wanted to say that I'm soooo sorry for your loss. You, your husband and your daughter are in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. Your family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteI am so very sorry for your loss. You are all in my thoughts & prayers.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your heartache. So much strength comes through in what you say. I wish I could think of something to say to help your pain. Just know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Strangers we are...but we share something in common....we are mothers.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you always,
christine
I'm so sorry! Hugs!!
ReplyDeleteJessica, I'm so sorry for your loss. You're a stronger woman having gone through all this and I wish you the best in the future.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry for your loss and will be praying that God gives you and your family strength to overcome this. Just know that this trial is a growing opportunity and that God is using you for something great.
ReplyDeleteMay God comfort you and yours in this time of sadness and grief. It is so difficult to make sense of why things happen, but I hope that you will find comfort in knowing you did everything you could for your precious daughter. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDelete